Saturday, June 26, 2010

Bone Marrow Transplant.

This week I had the Bone marrow test done. The results revealed that my treatments so far have been somewhat successful. However, there is still a minimal amount of residual cancer in my bone marrow - and this should not show up at this stage in my treatment. So, the doctors are now recommending I pursue a bone marrow transplant. My wife and I will been meeting with one of the top transplant doctors at SCCA on Monday. My brother will be coming along also as he has the highest probability of being a matching Donor.


Sunday, June 13, 2010

Round 6 completed.

I finished round 6 this past week (with the exception of receiving more chemo shots next Friday, but only a small amount). It went smooth. I got out of the Hospital on Wednesday and went to the clinic on Thursday and Friday for blood tests and inter-muscular injections of Chemo. I have been very, very fortunate to have not received any major side effects so far from this round. Just been a little tired. There is still a chance I could feel bad or get sick this week but I don't think so because they withheld one of the more potent Chemo medicines and replaced it with an increased dose of another. The doctor said it is also because it went into this round strong and with long break since the last chemo. So, it feels good to feel good! Let's hope this week is the same. Thank you very much to everyone for all of the visits, calls, e-mails, and support. I feel like that is a huge help also.


Sunday, June 6, 2010

Chemo starting tomorrow.

After meeting with the Doctor on Thursday for the 2nd opinion, it was concluded that we will start my next round (round 6) on Monday, June 7th. He thinks my counts are high enough and we should not wait any longer because it gives any possible remaining cancer too much of a chance to grow. He also suggested several changes to the type and dosage of Chemo. He called my doctor and discussed all of this and they both agreed on the changes. The meeting left me scared because the Doctor emphasised concern about the small remaining residual amount of cancer that showed up from in my bone marrow after round 4. His conclusion was to do another bone marrow test after this next round and if that shows any residual trace of cancer, I should start planing for a bone marrow transplant. However, there is a good chance that no cancer will show up with that test. Then, I would continue with round 7 and 8 as scheduled and be finished with my treatment.


Tuesday, June 1, 2010

and we continue to wait...

Blood test restults today again showed steady, but slow improvement. I am getting much closer, but still need to wait another week. We'll test again next Monday - and I will be admitted to the hospital that same day if my counts are high enough (it's a real good chance they will be high enough by then). This actually worked out good because I have another 2nd opinion appoinment this Thursday with one of these top doctors is this region on my specific type of cancer. My doctor consulted with him back in February after my 2nd opinion then and concluded to implement some of his suggestions. So, I wanted check in with him again just to make sure I am getting the best possible treatment and the best decisions are being made.